Posted by – Steve Cohen, Director of Community Development
It’s hard to drive through the City of Auburn Hills without seeing an excavator or bulldozer moving dirt around. Our town is hopping and very much alive. So far this year, an estimated $55 million in new private investment has been approved by the City Council for construction.
Here’s a recap of the new projects approved in the first half of Y2017:
- Pacific Drive Development – a speculative 50,000 square foot office / light industrial building ($3.25 million)
- Rapid Shred – a 21,050 square foot light industrial building ($1.1 million)
- Stadium Party Store Gas Station – demolition of the former Lucas Coney Island Restaurant and addition of a six-pump gas station ($400,000)
- Five Points Community Church – a 16,019 square foot addition to be located on the north side of the existing building ($3.2 million)
- FEV North America – a 25,600 square foot research and laboratory facility ($4.2 million)
- Hutchinson North American Headquarters – a 60,502 square foot corporate office building ($8 million)
- The HUB Stadium – a 300-seat banquet addition to the existing facility ($1.1 million)
- AM General Technical Center – an outside storage of area to facilitate the company’s move to Auburn Hills ($9.5 million)
- Cornerstone Community Financial Credit Union – a 30 space (net) parking lot expansion ($200,000)
- Autoliv North American Headquarters – a 124 space (net) parking lot expansion ($1 million)
- Valeo Thermal Systems North American Headquarters – a test track and ancillary building adjacent to their existing facility ($3 million)
- INCOE World Headquarters – a 135,000 square foot corporate office / industrial building ($20 million)
- The Palace of Auburn Hills – a rezoning to prepare the arena property for redevelopment should it no longer remain viable as a sports and entertainment venue.
Over the past six months, the Community Development Department has issued 1,249 permits for construction. Development activity is on pace to meet or exceed last year’s total permit count of 2,531.
Expect to hear about some major project announcements in the months ahead. Y2017 is turning out be an exciting and busy year.