Posted by – Dale Mathes, Code Enforcement Officer
On Squirrel Road, alongside the Clinton River Trail, is a little bit of Auburn Hills history: Aaron Webster Cemetery.
This half acre of land was set aside in 1836 by Benajeh Aldrich for burial purposes. The cemetery was established in the early 1800’s as part of the Webster farm. It later became a public burial ground and is now maintained by the City of Auburn Hills.
Two of the more interesting sites are the grave of Ebenezer Smith (1751-1825) who was a soldier in the American Revolution and that of Elizer Goodrich (1779-1850) who was wounded in the Battle of Chippewa during the War of 1812. There are numerous other sites of veterans from most of our country’s conflicts.
Taking a stroll through this pocket cemetery is a trip through the history of Auburn Hills.