Posted by – Elizabeth Brennan, Executive Assistant
What is a One Stop Ready Community?
It’s a town that focuses on the customer. Whether someone is building a business headquarters or an addition to their home, their needs and schedules come first. One Stop Ready is an Oakland County initiative that aims to educate its communities in best practices for economic development.
This past Wednesday night, City Manager Pete Auger was invited by County leaders to share the Auburn Hills’ approach to fostering development. Something we like to call “Radical Hospitality.”
The audience he spoke to consisted of six other Oakland County communities that are also dedicated to improving their own development processes.
- Focus on what you are. Communities have different strengths, so identify your assets and promote them.
- Utilize available resources and keep the public well-informed.
- Develop a streamlined, flexible process and guide customers through it according to their timelines.
- Meet with customers before they apply and make it mandatory that key staff attend those meetings to immediately answer questions and problem solve.
- Empower your staff to make decisions and give them the resources to do so.
Pete encouraged the audience to be deliberate and diligent in all these efforts. It is this process that has made Auburn Hills successful.
Great job representing us, Pete.