I often ask my kids … What do you want to be when you grow up? Do you want to be a city planner? Their answer is always no. For some reason they never choose urban and regional planning as their future profession. That is OK. My daughter wants to be an elementary school teacher and my son desires to be a Lego engineer. Both are very noble professions.
So, I was pleasantly surprised when my son brought home a book from school called the World’s Dumbest Laws by Dick Hyman. He told me that he found the book interesting. Hey, maybe all that talk about zoning rules at the dinner table is starting to pay off. We will see.
Here are some of the “dumb” laws listed in the book:
- In Blythe, California, a city ordinance declares that a person must own at least two cows before he or she is permitted to wear cowboy boots in public.
- In Pauling, Ohio, a police officer may bite a dog to quite it.
- It is illegal to transport an uncaged bear down a highway in Missouri.
- In Forgan, Oklahoma it is illegal for anyone to ride his or her bicycle backward.
- Florida law prohibits the transporting of livestock on school buses.
- It is against the law to drive a camel on the public highways of Nevada.
- It is unlawful in Muncie, Indiana to carry fishing tackle into a cemetery.
- In Joliet, Illinois, it is against the law to put cake in a cookie jar.
- A Stockton, California law makes it illegal to wiggle while dancing.
- It is against the law in Hawaii for a person to insert pennies in their ear.
I wish to reassure the citizens of Auburn Hills that we work hard to keep the City’s codes and ordinances up to date … and not dumb. We definitely do not want to find ourselves in the 2nd edition of Mr. Hyman’s book.